Working from home has many perks, but it also comes with downsides. Some of the downsides can be thwarted by having a designated space for your business where you can physically and mentally separate your home life from your personal life. If you work from home, then it is important to invest time and money into building and designing the best space possible for your home-based business.
Buying the Right Home
Not all homes are conducive to providing the perfect space for a home-based business. If you find yourself in that boat, then it may be time to upgrade to a home that can accommodate your needs. This does not necessarily mean buying a larger home or more expensive home, but it may mean looking for a place that is already configured to accommodate a home office. Start your search online to browse available options on the market. Note that median sale prices in Detroit are currently $50,000. In addition to prices, here are some things to look for:
- An attached or detached office space that has its own doors.
- If you have young children, then depending upon your needs, this may mean space where you can separate yourself or space where you can keep an eye on your kids play area.
- Extra storage for office supplies, inventory, etc.
- Adequate natural light.
- Enough space to fit any equipment or furniture you may need.
Building a Home Office
If you have the space for a home office, but your home is not already configured for it, you can always build what you need. If you have space in your home, you may want to consider knocking down or adding some walls to build a segregated space for your home-based business. Many have found that converting a garage into a home office provides the perfect space to get work done. Another option, if you have adequate backyard space, is to build a separate building or install a pre-fabricated building just for your office. Here are some things to consider:
- If you live in a community, whether or not your restrictive covenants would prevent a separate building
- If you have an HOA, whether you would need approval
- Running electricity and potentially water to the outdoor space
- Insulation for the hot summer months and cold winter months
- A plan to provide heat and/or air conditioning
- Making sure the building is large enough to house everything you need
Designing the Space
Designing your home office will be entirely dependent on your budget. If your budget is tight, then it is essential to focus on what will make you the most productive. For most business owners, the office furniture you should invest in is a quality desk and chair. After all, it is where you will be spending the most time, it will have the most impact on your physical well-being, and it will give you the space to accomplish what you need to get done.
If you want to invest in your home office, then consider adding elements that will inspire you. Of course, you have to make sure you have the right equipment and storage. But after that, consider lighting (you can get a great desk lamp at Walmart for less than $15), colors, patterns, and fabrics. The more inspired you are in your office, the more you will want to retreat there and tackle your daily tasks.
If you work from home, it is worth investing in the perfect home office. Working from home may mean that you need to buy a new house to accommodate your home office, remodel your current space, or add a separate space to your home that meets your needs. If you have a designated space that is designed for your tastes and functionality, you will see an increase in work productivity and be better equipped to meet your goals.
Latest posts by Brittni Abiolu (see all)
- Spectrum VOIP for Business Review – An Affordable VOIP Business Phone Service for Startups & Established Companies - February 14, 2020
- How to Use Chromecast for Business Presentations - February 13, 2020
- This Nigerian American Woman is Committed to Helping Entrepreneurs & Business Professionals in the U.S. Reduce Their Tax Liabilities and Improve Their Understanding of Finance & Money Management - February 11, 2020